On 05/05/2016 03:44 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
On 05/04/2016 02:20 PM, thierry bordaz wrote:
Hello,

     I have been doing some tests/measures using
     https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa-tools/blob/master/create-test-data.py.
     The tool creates a set of typical users/hosts/groups... to import with a
     ldapadd.

     I wrote down some finding in

http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Performance_Improvements#Provisioning_throughput_and_DS_plugins.
     I still have to do some cleanup around the performance but the basic of a
     possible improvement is to do provisioning in several steps (disabling
     plugins, provisioning, enabling plugin, running fixup tasks).

     Before going further in the design I wanted to share those ideas and know
if
     it raise any concern.

     thanks
     thierry

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for the analysis. Very nice.

Knowing this will help us suggesting workarounds also for old releases.

Couple questions:

Have you tested retrCL disabled with memberOf enabled. It seems that it
would eliminate 550K adds and 0.8M searches. What would be the time
improvement?

Do you know what is the time when memberof is enabled but slapi-nis and
retroCL are disabled?
The culprit of the performance issue is very likely related to SRCH (internal) triggered by memberof.

If retroCL is disabled and memberof enabled, #SRCH is 13.8M.
If retroCL is disabled, slapi-nis disabled and memberof enabled #SRCH is 14.8
When all of them are enabled the #SRCH is 15M.

You are right if retroCL is disabled the #ADD drops but it has no significant effect on the duration.

Regarding the duration of the provisioning, values are not really stable as performance of VM fluctuates. But as soon as memberof is enabled the provisioning lasts > 4hours where the same provisioning lasts 6mins as soon as memberof is disabled.

I need to confirm the average time for internal searches but assuming 1ms per SRCH it consumes >90% of the provisioning.

 From the text it was not clear to me, if you find or investigate
possible improvements in memberof plugin which would improve the
performance without stopping and starting DS.