Hi,

I have updated the design page http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generation/Mapping_Rules with my plan for implementing user-configurable rules for mapping IPA data into certificate requests. In brief: we will use Jinja2 for templating. Data rules (which map individual data items) and syntax rules (which group them into certificate fields) will both be snippets of Jinja2 markup. The formatting process will be as follows: 1. Syntax rules will be rendered using Jinja2. Data rules (rule text, not rendered) will be passed as the datarules attribute. 2. Rendered syntax rules will be processed by the Formatter class for the selected CSR generation helper (e.g. openssl or certutil). The formatter combines these partial rules into a full template for the config. 3. The template will be rendered using Jinja2. Relevant data from the IPA database will be available in the context for this rendering. 4. The final rendered template will be returned to the caller, labeled with its function (e.g. a command line or a config file).

Are there any comments or objections to this approach? Here's an example to show what it might look like in practice.

Example data rules:
email={{subject.email}}
O={{config.ipacertificatesubjectbase}}\nCN={{subject.username}}

Example syntax rule:
subjectAltName=@{% section %}{{datarules|join('\n')}}{% endsection %}

Example composed config template:
[ req ]
prompt = no
encrypt_key = no

distinguished_name = {% section %}O={{config.ipacertificatesubjectbase}}
CN={{subject.username}}{% endsection %}

req_extensions = exts

[ exts ]
subjectAltName=@{% section %}email={{subject.email}}{% endsection %}