On 07/20/2016 06:27 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 16:20 -0400, Ben Lipton wrote:
Hi,

I have updated the design page
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generati
on/Mapping_Rules
with my plan for implementing user-configurable rules for mapping
IPA
data into certificate requests. In brief: we will use Jinja2 for
templating. Data rules (which map individual data items) and syntax
rules (which group them into certificate fields) will both be
snippets
of Jinja2 markup. The formatting process will be as follows:
1. Syntax rules will be rendered using Jinja2. Data rules (rule
text,
not rendered) will be passed as the datarules attribute.
2. Rendered syntax rules will be processed by the Formatter class
for
the selected CSR generation helper (e.g. openssl or certutil). The
formatter combines these partial rules into a full template for the
config.
3. The template will be rendered using Jinja2. Relevant data from
the
IPA database will be available in the context for this rendering.
4. The final rendered template will be returned to the caller,
labeled
with its function (e.g. a command line or a config file).

Are there any comments or objections to this approach? Here's an
example
to show what it might look like in practice.

Example data rules:
email={{subject.email}}
O={{config.ipacertificatesubjectbase}}\nCN={{subject.username}}

Example syntax rule:
subjectAltName=@{% section %}{{datarules|join('\n')}}{% endsection %}

Example composed config template:
[ req ]
prompt = no
encrypt_key = no

distinguished_name = {% section
%}O={{config.ipacertificatesubjectbase}}
CN={{subject.username}}{% endsection %}

req_extensions = exts

[ exts ]
subjectAltName=@{% section %}email={{subject.email}}{% endsection %}

There's a lot more information about the thinking behind this at
http://blog.benjaminlipton.com/2016/07/19/csr-generation-templating.h
tml
if you're interested, as well.
Nice work Ben,
it's been really nice to be able to follow your notes on the blog post,
one question remains lingering in my head, why jinja2 ?
I know that engine relatively well as I used it in ipsilon, so I am not
questioning the choice just asking why specifically jinja2 and not
something else, potentially language agnostic.

Simo.
Honestly, my reasoning didn't go very far beyond that it seems to be widely used and is compatible with python, which is the language where the implementation is taking place (in the IPA RPC server). I thought about using the built-in python format strings or creating a simple domain-specific language, but the likelihood of wanting the built-in text processing features (join, replace, maybe even for loops) seemed high, and I didn't want to reimplement those features.

Will the additional package dependency be a problem?

Ben