Title: #254: Replace LooseVersion with parse_ipa_version()

martbab commented:
"""
I was thinking about this a bit, and was wondering whether the
platform-specific idiosyncracies of the version handling could be safely
confined to the platform-specific code. I.E ipaplatform.base would define
version comparisons via standard `pkg_resources` parser and fedora/redhat would
override this with their platform-specific quirks.

The one thing that could be broken by this would be scenarios like Fedora
clients talking to RHEL masters etc., but I think those sceniarios are not
handled correctly by the current implementation anyway.

Another thing I was thinking about is whether we could use some proxy object in
ipalib/ipaclient/ipapython libs which would use version comparison from
ipaplatform if present, and if not use standard Python algorithms.

What I am aiming at that we should reduce the dependency of the PyPI candidate
code on ipaplatform madness as much as is humanly possible. IMHO if we really
want to use these modules in PyPI, then they ideally should not depend on
ipaplatform at all.
"""

See the full comment at
https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/254#issuecomment-261517612