On 24.11.2016 20:31, Gabe Alford wrote:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Martin Basti <mba...@redhat.com <mailto:mba...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On 24.11.2016 16:11, Gabe Alford wrote:
    On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 1:29 AM, Martin Basti <mba...@redhat.com
    <mailto:mba...@redhat.com>> wrote:

        On 24.11.2016 07:06, David Kupka wrote:

            On 22/11/16 23:15, Gabe Alford wrote:

                I would say that it is worth keeping in FreeIPA. I
                know myself and some
                customers use its functionality by having the clients
                sync to the IPA
                servers and have the servers sync to the NTP source.
                This way if the NTP
                source ever gets disrupted for long periods of time
                (which has happened in
                my environment) the client time drifts with the
                authentication source. This
                is the way that AD often works and is configured.

            Hello Gabe,
            I agree that it's common practice to synchronize all
            nodes in network with single source in order to have the
            same time and save bandwidth. Also I understand that it's
            comfortable to let FreeIPA installer take care of it.
            But I don't think FreeIPA should do it IMO this is job
            for Ansible or similar tool. Also the problem is that in
            some situations FreeIPA installer makes it worse.

            Example:

            1. Install FreeIPA server (ipa1.example.org
            <http://ipa1.example.org>)
            2. Install FreeIPA client on all nodes in network
            3. Install replica (ipa2.example.org
            <http://ipa2.example.org>) of FreeIPA server to increase
            redundancy

    Why not have NTP look at a _srv_records?

    Do ntpclients support this natively?  I just found some ugly hacks
    for chrony, i.e extra service that is dynamically changing config
    file.
    But yes this may be way too, but dirty.

You are right. It is an ugly. I wonder if we can push to make it not so ugly so that _srv_ is used for both Chrony and NTP which IMO makes those two products better. If not and the desire is truly to get rid of chrony/ntp configuration on the client side, what about adding Chrony and NTP configuration to ipa-advise?

And I realized that this may be applicable only if IPA is installed with integrated DNS, when IPA automatically updates system services DNS records. With external DNS we will bother admins to create SRV records, so it is the same as creating DHCP configuration.

we can add it to ipa-advise.

Martin^2

            Now all the clients have ipa1.example.org
            <http://ipa1.example.org> as the only server in
            /etc/ntp.conf. If the first FreeIPA server becomes
            unreachable all clients will be able to contact KDC on
            the other server thanks to DNS autodiscovery in libkrb5
            but will be unable to synchronize time.

        This can be resolved by DHCP configured NTP. When NTP server
        changed, you just change DHCPd config and hosts conf will be
        synced.
        We may keep NTP on IPA server side configured, but I'm voting
        for removing it from clients and document+endorse people to
        use DHCP (anyway distros have always enabled some time
        synchronization so it should naturally work without even in
        small deployments)

    If NTP is still configured on the IPA server, this may be less of
    an issue. Not everyone has/is/will be using ansible. Also in
    secure environments, DHCP
    is not allowed/used at all.

        Also NTP is somehow incompatible with containers, usually
        containers have time synchronized from host, and by default
        IPA client container don't do NTP configuration.

    Isn't that what the --no-ntp option in the client is for anyway?

        Let deprecate it in 4.5

        Martin^2

                On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Jan Cholasta