Title: #268: Build system must regenerate file when template changes

pspacek commented:
"""
Oh, you are right, I was mixing `CONFIG_STATUS_DEPEDENCIES` and
`AC_CONFIG_FILES`. Sorry!

So please let me explain the problem with `AC_CONFIG_FILES`:
`AC_CONFIG_FILES` properly substitutes variables only in Makefiles, as
explained in [Autoconf v2.69 manual chapter 4.8.2 Installation Directory
Variables](https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.69/html_node/Installation-Directory-Variables.html).

Yes, we can use `AC_CONFIG_FILES` so all variables can used for substitution,
but in that case only subset of all usable variables will be substituted
correctly. I do not think that it is right approach.
"""

See the full comment at
https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/268#issuecomment-262955693