On 30.11.2016 16:09, Rob Crittenden wrote:
David Kupka wrote:
On 29/11/16 18:10, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
Still, bug reports and users' complaints is the only external measure we
have. There are close to nothing in complaints about NTP functionality,
other than requests to support chronyd and a better discover of existing
NTP setups. I don't think that requires dramatic action like removal of
NTP support at all.

As Petr already pointed out, since Fedora 16 chronyd is enabled by
default and ipa-client-install doesn't configure time synchronization
when chronyd is enabled.

I believe that majority of users haven't used '--force-ntpd' and since
it still worked they haven't filed any ticket.

IMO in this case no bug reports means no users rather than no bugs or
requests.

Unfortunately, this is just my guess and AFAIK we don't have any data
from users showing how they use FreeIPA.

For argument's sake, let's say NTP configuration in the client is
dropped and managed by the OS or other administrators.

What implication does this have for configuring NTP server on masters?
Would that be stopped as well? What about existing installs?

I think there should be no implication, the server is a completely different thing.

The only thing I would maybe do is to detect if there is an existing NTP server configuration and if there is, do not touch it.

I don't believe there is a precedence for removing a service from IPA.