Hi list,

https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/177 was recently merged despite causing nearly half of the tests in our Travis CI gating to fail. This broke Travis CI for all other PR that were rebased after this merge, causing false negative errors everywhere.

Fraser reverted the offending commits in https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/329 which restored Travis to original state (never mind PEP8 errors they were in the original code already).

Regarding this issues I have two questions:

a)

should I merge https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/329 and thus revert the breakage in order to unblock other contributors? Given the current traffic I think it is sufficient to wait for us to investigate and produce a fix. If not, please scream loudly.

b)

what can we improve to make the results of CI more visible to contributors? I think that I should sit down with Martin 2 and investigate the possibility to send notifications about negative CI results (sufficient IMO) to the mailing list.

In the meanwhile I would like to ask all reviewers to carefully check the output of failed Travis CI runs. If the job fails, you will see the results at the very end of the log. There are two sections: PEP8 errors and test output. You can expand both of them to see what went wrong and report it to the PR author if necessary.

The reviewer and author can then use the very same tool used in CI [1] to reproduce the failures locally. Using '--no-cleanup' option during the run [2] leaves behind a running container which you can attach to and investigate further.

[1] https://github.com/freeipa/ipa-docker-test-runner
[2] https://github.com/freeipa/ipa-docker-test-runner/blob/master/README.md

If you have any additional questions/suggestions about Travis feel free to contact me.

--
Martin^3 Babinsky