Thank you, that will help.  I don't want to have to go down that road but it's
looking more and more like I will have to.

    On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:34 AM, Alexander Bokovoy via FreeIPA-users
<freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:

 On ti, 13 helmi 2018, Andrew Meyer via FreeIPA-users wrote:
>Fish the entries?  Can you elaborate on that a bit more?
>Since FreeIPA auto-builds txt records and what not for client
>machines...How did you do that?  Or did you not utilize that?
When you install IPA master without integrated DNS server, IPA installer
will generate you a sample DNS zone for own domain and put it into a
temporary file in /tmp. The name of the file is displayed in the console
output, it looks like /tmp/ipa.system.records.*.db

You can re-generate the same file with the following sequence:

- as root on IPA master run
  ipa -e in_server=True console

  this will open a special IPA console where you can use Python API
  directly. Note that this operation does not require Kerberos ticket
  and does not communicate with IPA framework; instead, it does directly
  talk to IPA LDAP over a local interface as a cn=Directory Manager, so
  be careful what you do there.

- within the console, enter following (>>> indicates where to enter):
>>> from ipaserver.install import bindinstance
>>> bind = bindinstance.BindInstance(api=api)
>>> bind.create_file_with_system_records()

- exit console with ctrl-D

You'd get something like this in your terminal:

[root@master ~]# ipa -e in_server=True console
(Custom IPA interactive Python console)
>>> from ipaserver.install import bindinstance
>>> bind = bindinstance.BindInstance(api=api)
>>> bind.create_file_with_system_records()
Please add records in this file to your DNS system:
/tmp/ipa.system.records.c3fq4oa1.db
>>> (pressed ctrl-D here)
now exiting InteractiveConsole...

[root@master ~]# cat /tmp/ipa.system.records.c3fq4oa1.db
_kerberos-master._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos-master._udp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.example.com. 86400 IN
SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos._udp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.example.com. 86400 IN
SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos._udp.dc._msdcs.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos._udp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 88 master.example.com.
_kerberos.example.com. 86400 IN TXT "EXAMPLE.COM"
_kpasswd._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 464 master.example.com.
_kpasswd._udp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 464 master.example.com.
_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0
100 389 master.example.com.
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 389 master.example.com.
_ldap._tcp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 389 master.example.com.
_ntp._udp.example.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 100 123 master.example.com.
ipa-ca.example.com. 86400 IN A SOME-IPv4-ADDRESS