Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

> It's because you are in the middle of an upgrade. You can add
> --skip-version-check to not do the upgrade until after the certs are renewed.

Amazing! So I turned back the clock and:

# ipactl restart --ignore-service-failure --skip-version-check
Skipping version check
Failed to get service list from file: Unknown error when retrieving list of
services from file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/run/ipa/services.list'
Restarting Directory Service
Restarting krb5kdc Service
Restarting kadmin Service
Restarting named Service
Restarting httpd Service
Restarting ipa-custodia Service
Restarting ntpd Service
Restarting pki-tomcatd Service
Failed to restart pki-tomcatd Service
Forced restart, ignoring pki-tomcatd Service, continuing normal operation
Restarting ipa-otpd Service
Restarting ipa-ods-exporter Service
Restarting ods-enforcerd Service
Restarting ipa-dnskeysyncd Service
ipa: INFO: The ipactl command was successful

I did as Florence said and set the time back.
Then I imported the github.com/freeipa/freeipa-letsencrypt, edited as necessary
and ran setup-le.sh

It shows some errors like, I am including the full output here:
https://pastebin.com/S07vqXLy

In the end has this:

ipaplatform.redhat.tasks: INFO: Systemwide CA database updated.
ipalib.backend: DEBUG: Destroyed connection context.rpcclient_140667189670224
ipapython.admintool: INFO: The ipa-certupdate command was successful
Error opening Private Key /var/lib/ipa/private/httpd.key
139927634605968:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:bss_file.c:402:fopen('/var/lib/ipa/private/httpd.key','r')
139927634605968:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:404:
unable to load Private Key

> These are just two different wrappers around let's encrypt certificates. As
> long as it can find the key(s) then it should work either way (one uses HTTP
> and one uses DNS). The real trick is what version(s) of IPA those support and
> where it is looking for the certificates. The cert locations and storage are
> different depending on the version of IPA.

I am assuming the script from antevens uses DNS. But how can it not matter if
someone is using an up to date version of freeipa and Florence mentioned

> - ipaCert is not stored any more in the NSS database /etc/httpd/alias,  it is
> now in /var/lib/ipa/ra-agent.{key|pem}

So if this has changed and the scripts of that letsencrypt repo haven't been
edited in over an year, is it supposed to work? Or is it not compliant with the
latest IPA versions?

Btw, after setup-le.sh finished I set the time back and rebooted the server. It
seems like now it's not coming up at all ..... I'll have to VNC to it and see
what happened....