On Feb 16, 2011, at 04:10 , Sumit Bose wrote:

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 06:30:51PM -0500, Peter Doherty wrote:

On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:45 , Simo Sorce wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:09:07 -0500
Peter Doherty <dohe...@hkl.hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2011, at 14:02 , Rob Crittenden wrote:

Peter Doherty wrote:
Hello,  I'm running Fedora 14 and freeipa 1.2.2-6

Can I create a new cn/nsContainer (cn=subgroup,dc=example,dc=com)
and then create an account that can edit that cn as much as they
want,
<snip>

What would you put into this container?

<snip>

rob

The first thing I'm looking to do with it is have a web server that
has account information stored in LDAP, and to allow users to to
ldap authentication. The users logging into the web server would be
<snip>

It is possible to do using LDAP tools and then setting an ACI on the
container to give the user you want full control on that container.

Simo.

Simo,

This gave me a good starting point, and after reading some more, I'm starting to wrap my brain around what I want to do and how to do it.
LDAP has a steep learning curve, IMHO.
Can you recommend any GUI tools for creating/modifying the ACI for the container? I started to try and create an ACI using the ones within FreeIPA as a reference, but if there's a GUI that would be useful too. I checked out Apache Directory Studio which looks nice, but doesn't seem to support the schema that FreeIPA is using.

I use Apache Directory Studio to edit FreeIPA LDAP objects and I can
also see and edit ACIs. The schema shouldn't be a problem, because the
editor can read the schema data from the LDAP server. Which kind of
problems are you seeing ?

Well, Apache Directory Studio has ACI editor (looks like this: http://directory.apache.org/studio/screenshots.data/aci_visual_1.png ) so you don't edit the text directly, but rather use a GUI, which builds the policy in text and inserts it when you're done editing.
But it seems to use a different schema than FreeIPA is using...

Peter