On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 20:13 +0100, Sigbjorn Lie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using --gidnumber when adding a new user with "ipa user-add" does not
> seem to have any effect. A gid number with the same value as what I
> specify in with the --uid parameter is chosen.
>
> I presume this is not the way user-add is intended to work?
>

> # ipa user-add mysql14 --first=MySQL --last=Server
> --homedir=/var/lib/mysql --shell=/bin/false --uid=110 --gidnumber=3004
> --------------------
> Added user "mysql14"
> --------------------
>    User login: mysql14
>    First name: MySQL
>    Last name: Server
>    Full name: MySQL Server
>    Display name: MySQL Server
>    Initials: MS
>    Home directory: /var/lib/mysql
>    GECOS field: mysql14
>    Login shell: /bin/false
>    Kerberos principal: mysq...@ix.nixtra.com
>    UID: 110
>    GID: 110
>

> Regards,
> Siggi

Hello Sigbjorn,

it is not common to manually specify GID. Can you please tell me what's
your use case for doing that? Maybe I can help with a proper way to do
that.

In your case, GID was set to UID because it's the GID of User Private
Group "mysql14" which was automatically associated with the user
"mysql14".

Martin