On 10/05/2011 09:44 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 10/04/2011 11:14 AM, John Dennis wrote:
On 10/04/2011 10:50 AM, Jimmy wrote:
I've been searching and see a few references to freeRADIUS used with
FreeIPA, but I don't see any substantial information on the subject. Is
there a procedure to use FreeIPA with freeRADIUS? I have a standalone
openldap/freeradius server that I would like to eliminate if possible.

Integrating FreeRADIUS with IPA is on the long term roadmap. It's not
as easy as one might imagine. The fundamental problem is that many of
the RADIUS authentication methods require access to the user's
cleartext password or hashes we feel are insecure. This presents a
design issue for us to resolve, as such it has been pushed out.

Refer to this chart for more information:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

OK. This could have created a wrong impression the freeRADIUS can't be
used now with IPA. This is wrong. There is no tight integration but IPA
for sure can act as an "authentication oracle" for freeRADIUS.
http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/oracles.html

You have to use: EAP-TTLS as an outer tunnel, PAP as an inner tunnel and
configure freeRADIUS to do bind operation against IPA as if it is an
LDAP server (or you can use pam for that if you want, with SSSD you
might get offline caching if you connection between RADIUS host and IPA
might be disrupted, but if they are on the same box or connection is
reliable it might make sense to use direct ldap bind rather than use the
PAM stack) .
How to do all this can be found in the RADIUS manual. If you find some
interesting gotchas related to IPA or SSSD in this setup please share
with us. Also if you find this information not sufficient let us know
and we will try to help you find the right documentation.

Sure, but the typical stumbling block is that in the majority of cases the goal is transparent wireless authentication by supplicants in their default configuration. It's usually difficult to get users to properly configure their supplicants and for some versions of Windows it may not be possible at all without installing a different supplicant. Then there is is the issue of getting the radius CA cert into each client or telling users to disable cert validation which is not something we should be doing. In short, there are logistical problems which may not meet real world needs. It's hard to know a prori if the above will meets the needs or not, perhaps it will so it's good Dmitri posted the suggestion.

--
John Dennis <jden...@redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/