I wonder if the following simplified setup I am using with AD:

ldap.ADdomain                mydomain.com
ldap.enable                  on
ldap.nssmap.attribute.uniqueMember Member
ldap.nssmap.objectClass.groupOfUniqueNames Group
ldap.nssmap.objectClass.posixAccount User
ldap.nssmap.objectClass.posixGroup Group
ldap.rfc2307bis.enable       on

would also work with IPA domains. I understand this would require NetApp to somehow join the IPA domain creating normal computer account, but I like the fact that I do not have to specify ldap server manually - NetApp finds it via DNS. Given the fact that IPA NS structure is pretty much similar to AD, it should just work, but I haven't tried yet....

Other bonus would be the possibility of using Kerberized NFSv4 w/ Netapp.

Ondrej