It is with the hostname requirements.  AWS EC2 normally gives you a dynamic
IP address, which then you can update DNS records with.  The reverse lookup
on the IP is still the aws IP address in a text form, not the proper
reverse.  The documentation says:

The reverse of the address that the hostname resolves to must match the
hostname.

Now I can get a nailed up elastic IP address which does not change, and if
I put in a request I can get the reverse IP to map.  The problem with that
is there is a finite number of elastic IP addresses you can request - 5 -
without begging for more.  I'd rather not use them up.

Can I get around this issue if I have my own DNS server running on the same
machine?

--
Jeff White
Acesse.com Technical Operations Manager