george he wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to install freeipa for a small lab with <10 computers, all
running fedora 17.
I seemed to have installed ipa server (without DNS) successfully,

# ipactl status
Directory Service: RUNNING
KDC Service: RUNNING
KPASSWD Service: RUNNING
MEMCACHE Service: RUNNING
HTTP Service: RUNNING
CA Service: RUNNING

but when I try to run ipa-client-install on a client machine, I get this
error message:

<server.my.edu> is not an IPA v2 Server.
Installation failed. Rolling back changes.
IPA client is not configured on this system.

what am I missing?
ps, I'm following the instructions here:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/FreeIPA_Guide/Installing_the_IPA_Client_on_Linux.html
Thanks,
George

If you look in /var/log/ipaclient-install.log it may have more details.

Some possible problems:

- It found SRV records for your domain that point to an AD server
- Ports 80, 389 and 443 are not open on your IPA server
- DNS resolution issues