IPA itself "looks and feels" like AD but it is not compatible with AD - it is
intended mainly for Linux machines.

Ondrej

On 07/10/2012 03:25 PM, george he wrote:
Hi Ondrej,
The win7 is standing alone. I don't have an AD for it.
I used to have a samba domain controller that took care of user authentication
for both linux and winxp machines.
Thanks,
George

    *From:* Ondrej Valousek <ondr...@s3group.cz>
    *To:* freeipa-users@redhat.com
    *Sent:* Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:12 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [Freeipa-users] ipa samba win7

    Do you have an AD for the win7 machine or is it just standalone machine?
    Ondrej

    On 07/10/2012 03:01 PM, george he wrote:
    Hello all,
    I have an ipa client that is also a file server. How do I set up a samba
server on the file server so that the files can be accessed
    by a win7 machine, which is not a member of the ipa realm?
    Should I set the file server as a domain controller? How do I deal with the
"passdb backend" option? I guess I can set it to
    "ldapsam", but the user information is kept on the ipa server, not the file
server.
    What else should I take care of before I start?
    ps. my ipa version is 2.2, running on fc17.
    Thanks,
    George