+1. Use DNS. I agree with Simo.

On 08/21/2012 10:04 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
You are not alone but we strongly suggest to use a separate DNS domain for
FreeIPA server, and if possible for its clients. Either a same level domain or,
at least, a delegated zone.

For example:

corp.domain.com ->  AD
unix.domain.com ->  FreeIPA

with forwards between them.

Or
domain.com ->  AD
domain.net ->  FreeIPA

again with forwards

Or
domain.com ->  AD
unix.domain.com ->  FreeIPA

with Ad delegating out the unix. subdomain to FreeIPA.

In general we strongly suggest not using the same DNS domain for AD and FreeIPA
domain as using the same domain name makes it impossible to have kerberos level
interop between the 2 domains otherwise (cannot establish trust relationships
if they use the same DNS domain and/or the same realm name for example).