Hi all.

We have IdM set up in a test environment as a subdomain of our Windows domain
(so, linux.example.com) with integrated DNS on the IdM server and forwarders
going to the AD servers on example.com.   We have on the Windows DNS server the
IdM server set up as a conditional forwarder for linux.example.com and an A
record in its DNS for the IdM server.

However, on example.com, we have other subdomains that need to be able to
communicate with the linux.example.com domain, such as tier1.example.com,
tier2.example.com, etc.

What we are trying to figure out is the whole PTR reverse zone bit, mainly due
to the fact that the linux.example.com and the example.com reside on the same
subnets (and unfortunately, this is a very large network and we can't change
that).

For instance, say we have a system at test1.tier2.example.com that needs to
make an SSL connection to another system on testA.linux.example.com.  The SSL
handshake will fail since the PTR record will resolve to a different domain
than what the client is expecting, again due to the fact that the reverse zone
is on the same subnet.  The reverse zone on the Windows DNS server would only
contain PTR records for all of the domains except linux.example.com, and the
IdM server would only contain PTR records for just the linux.example.com
systems.

So, obviously, we would not want the IdM server to have a reverse zone, and
have it rely on the reverse zone on the Windows DNS server.  Other than
manually entering PTR records for all Linux systems under linux.example.com to
the reverse zone file on the Windows DNS server, is there another way that we
can properly accomplish this?  Would replicating the reverse zone file from the
Windows server to the IdM server take care of that?

Thanks.

-Kenny