Thomson, Ryan wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Crittenden [mailto:rcrit...@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:58 PM
To: Thomson, Ryan; freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Failure decoding Certificate Signing Request

I think this still points to NSS not being initialized. The way we currently use
NSS in the server is Apache fires things up using mod_nss, then because we
are a child of Apache via mod_wsgi, we inherit the open NSS database in
/etc/httpd/alias. This gives us the CA cert and the client cert we need in
order to talk to dogtag.

What I thought, and the excellent debugging above confirms, is that at some
point the NSS database is being shut down. At some point we need to do
some crypto and try to initialize it ourselves to no avail. We shouldn't ever
need to do it in the server and thus don't have access to PINs and such
because we don't need them. We do initialize things from time to time on
the client side but we tend to do a database-less initialization
(nss_init_nodb()).

I'm not really sure what this tells us though. It would appear that SSL is
working in Apache, because you are able to get far enough to make a
request and have it fail. So the NSS database is still initialized in Apache,
but
for some reason the wsgi code doesn't seem to agree.

Would it be possible for you to stop and restart Apache and run some simple
IPA command like ipa user-show admin (and let me know if it succeeds)?
Then send me the error_log?

If you are in SELinux enforcing mode it would also be helpful to check for any
AVCs. Maybe we simply can't access the database.

thanks

rob

I am able to stop/wait/start apache and then execute "ipa user-show admin"
successfully.

Ok, let's try a couple more things.

Can you set LogLevel debug in /etc/httpd/conf.d/nss.conf and restart Apache again? This may give us more information on what mod_nss is doing.

Next, lets try a different cert command that should also invoke the NSS client within IPA:

$ ipa cert-show 22

Can you describe your environment? Do you have multiple IPA masters? Was this a new install at 3.0 or is it an upgrade from 2.2?