On 2/5/2014, 1:35 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Will Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Hello IPA users :)
> >
> > We have implemented IPA using the packaged version in centos 6.5 (which
> > is 3.0.0-37.el6), but have been playing with the more recent version in
> > Fedora 19 (3.3.3-2.fc19) and are quite keen to take advantage of the
> > shiny new features, so are thinking about migrating.
> >
> > Has anyone done this? Is there an easy way to migrate/upgrade?
> > What would happen if I tried to setup a FC19 replica, would it get angry
> > and break?
> >
> > We only have users in production so far, (no production clients or
> > issued certs) so maybe the user migration script mentioned in previous
> > posts would be the best bet?
> >
> > Any pointers would be hugely appreciated..
>
> This is exactly the way to migrate between versions. You'll want to set up a
> CA on the F19 server for sure, and DNS if you're using that. The idea is that
> you set up the new master, spend some time (days, weeks not months) verifying
> that things are working ok, then remove the old server and things should
> continue to just work. We also recommend having at least two masters with CAs
> for redundancy and avoiding a single point of failure.
>
> We have discovered a bug in the way clients are enrolled though. We store the
> name of the master you enroll against. Normally this isn't a big deal,
> especially if you use SRV records. The problem is if that some tools use the
> master from this file to connect to and not SRV records, so you may want to
> run around to your clients and change this in /etc/ipa/default.conf once the
> migration is complete.
>
> rob

Yay! That’s easier than I thought it would be, thanks Rob.

Would this work as a solution?

1) Leave current centos server (ipa.domain.com (http://ipa.domain.com)) in
production
2) Configure new FC19 ipa server as a replica (newipa.domain.com
(http://newipa.domain.com)) using the server install script
3) Check that newipa.domain.com (http://newipa.domain.com) is functioning as
expected.
4) Remove centos server from production (not checked, but I assume there is a
documented process for this)
5) Install new FC19 replica using same IP and DNS name as the old centos server
(ipa.domain.com).