On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Torsten Scholak wrote:
Hi there,

I am considering to set up a smb2 server intended for certain windows
machines and macs that are not member of the kerberos realm and hence
not single sign-on enabled (read: guest machines).

The server for the smb service runs a fresh Fedora 20 and is also
holding an ipa replica.

Let me strees that I don't need a domain controller nor the
synchronization to one, just a way to allow samba to lookup and
authenticate against credentials provided by freeipa. This is just a
pet project in a non-production environment (home).

I searched around a bit and found a number of guides and mailing list
posts, e.g.
https://www.mail-archive.com/freeipa-users@redhat.com/msg04928.html
However, information tends to be scarce, scattered, and incomplete.
Since most of it is rather old, I worry that it is horribly outdated.
For this specific case look at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2013-April/msg00270.html
and the thread around it.

--