On 22/07/14 00:13, Mark Heslin wrote:
Hi All,

I had some off-list exchanges with Petr Spacek on this but am still trying to work out the correct syntax.
I have 2 hosts:

   - foo1.example.com
   - foo2.example.com

and would like to create a round-robin DNS srv record for both called foo.example.com

I already have DNS entries for both hosts in IPA:

  # ipa dnsrecord-show example.com foo1
    Record name: foo1
    A record: 10.0.0.1
  # ipa dnsrecord-show example.com foo2
    Record name: foo2
    A record: 10.0.0.2

I'd like to get the correct syntax for adding the srv record for foo.
My understanding is that it should be something like this:

# ipa dnsrecord-add example.com _foo.tcp --srv-rec="0 50 53 foo1.example.com"
  Record name: _foo.tcp
  SRV record: 0 50 53 foo1.example.com
# ipa dnsrecord-add example.com _foo.tcp --srv-rec="0 50 53 foo2.example.com"
  Record name: _foo.tcp
  SRV record: 0 50 53 foo2.example.com

which seemed to be added ok but on second glance I think not:

  # host -t srv _foo.tcp.example.com
_foo.tcp..example.com has SRV record 0 50 53 foo1.example.com.example.com. _foo.tcp..example.com has SRV record 0 50 53 foo2.example.com.example.com.
----------------^^
Is this typo, or the host command really returns two dots?
Martin

In looking over the description of rfc2782 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record> it appears the IPA syntax is a little different, and the documentation is scarce so admittedly I'm taking a swag at this ;-)

I can do this fine without srv but don't have enough familiarity with DNS srv here. Can anyone help clarify what I'm missing? I'd like to have equal weighting, priority to both hosts - I'm assuming the port (53) is correct for DNS here as well.

Thank you very much,

-m

--

Red Hat Reference Architectures