Hi,

Hosts however would have to be joined by an admin?

They also wouldnt be very IPA aware and stable  from what I can see, ie joining
a non-RH OS to IPA just looks an awful nightmare especially for 10000+ devices
plus with 3 different OSes at least (IOS, Win, Android, linux and apple and
windows laptops plus others) and multiple versions and patch levels.....um no,
insanity beckons, LOL.

I am still trying to figure out what is wanted so I am vague because so are
criteria and I have never done this before.

All I have is,

free, open source,

The idea is that an employee can have a zero config access / sign in to wifi
for their device once initially connected.

The solution must be robust and available ie close to 99.999% availability.
IPA can do this as the backend and yes PF can use LDAP hence my interest.
Packet fence can be active/passive HA so its possible.  Virtualised across
multiple ESXi hosts and SANs.

I have a RFE in for a IPA howto section to be added to the PF manual as even
the openldap section is empty.  Or I might try and write it if I get the go
ahead myself.

The PF servers would be RHEL6.6 so Im hoping adding a service in IPA will
"simply" work.

regards

Steven