On 05/04/2015 09:38 PM, Janelle wrote:
On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 08:49 -0700, Janelle wrote:
Happy Star Wars Day!
May the Fourth be with you!

So I have a strange Kerberos problem trying to figure out.  On a
CLIENT,  (CentOS 7.1) if I login to account "usera" they get a
ticket as
expected.  However, if I login to a 6.6 client, it doesn't seem to
work.
Both were enrolled the same, obviously one is newer.

Now, it gets stranger. The "servers" are CentOS 7.1 also. If I login
as
root, bypassing kerberos, and then do "kinit admin" it works just
fine.
But if I do "kinit usera" I get:

kinit: Generic preauthentication failure while getting initial
credentials

Which makes no sense. The account works with a 7.1 client but not a
6.x
client?? And yet "admin" works, no matter what. What am I missing
here?
If I had to guess, usera is enabled for OTP-only login. Is that
correct?

If so, clients require RHEL 7.1 for OTP support. Also, the error you
are getting is the result of not enabling FAST support for OTP
authentication (see the -T option).

Nathaniel
Ok, this did give me an idea (Thanks Nathaniel) -- the account was set for BOTH "password" and OTP. Apparently setting both does nothing. Yes a user can login with their password-only, but trying to use kinit does not work.

I am not sure I understand where the FAST support or the -T option is to be applied. On kinit? That does not seem correct. Perhaps I am misunderstanding this option?

~J

If the user is enabled for OTP his credential are sent differently than in the case when it is not enabled. Effectively instead of using encrypted timestamp the password and OTP are sent to the server as data. But they can't be sent in clear. You need to encrypt the data. To encrypt it you need another key - the host key. The encryption of the data in this context is called tunneling . FAST is the Kerberos protocol feature to provide tunneling of the data sent over the wire. To use FAST one needs to use -T on the kinit command line.
Does this help?

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Director of Engineering for IdM portfolio
Red Hat, Inc.