On 05/28/2015 07:10 PM, Timothy Worman wrote:
On Mar 26, 2015, at 3:08 PM, Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 03/26/2015 03:19 PM, Timothy Worman wrote:
On Mar 26, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Martin Kosek <mko...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 03/26/2015 07:37 PM, Timothy Worman wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input.

I do agree that I don’t like the sound of option 1. I don’t want to be sending
CLI commands from a remote host. And option 3 sounds sounds a bit brittle to me.

2 sounds like the most solid option available right now. I like the fact that
there’s an existing/working API there. I’ll need to look into converting my
objects into json.

This area honestly seems like one of the weakest aspects of freeipa. There
really needs to be a way to push known person entities into the directory
easily.
There may be some disconnect, the JSONRPC/XMLRPC API is the way we still see as
an easy way to manipulate the entries (besides CLI and Web UI). In Python,
adding new user is that easy:

~~~
from ipalib import api
from ipalib import errors

api.bootstrap(context='cli')
api.finalize()
api.Backend.rpcclient.connect()
api.Command['user_add'](u'newuser', givenname=u'New', sn=u'User')
~~~

What way would you suggest to make it more conforming to your use case? Are you
suggesting REST interface doing the above or something else?
Oh, I think the JSON option is the best one currently available. But I do think
REST-ful service would be a good idea.

I would be willing to test option 4 if that is where the future is headed.

Ok, just note that this still means LDAP interface a need to talk in LDAP
protocol.
This may not be a bad thing if you’re using an ORM like Webobjects/EOF or
Cayenne since you can model those ldap entities and simply set their attributes
and insert. At a lower level JNDI will handle it. I personally prefer this over
building strings, sending commands, etc.

So this will be ready upstream within several weeks or so. Would you test it
once it it is available before the official upstream release?

Hi Dmitri - following up on this to see how progress is going on this project.
I am definitely still interested in testing this. In the meantime, I have been
pursuing http client calls posting json. And I have some questions I need to
pursue on that as well. Should I take this to freeipa-devel?

Hello Timothy,

I am sorry we did not update this thread, but in the end we decided not to invest in the REST interface ourselves at this moment (read - FreeIPA 4.2), but rather work on stabilizing and documenting current JSON-RPC API we have as we believe the API is easily usable from major languages even though it is not RESTy. To prove our point, we need good documentation of it and examples for the major languages.

This is the proposal of what shall be done in FreeIPA 4.2 that I sent to freeipa-devel:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-April/msg00061.html

I hope the way we go for the next release is acceptable for you. In the mean time, if you have specific questions on calling JSON from your programs, both freeipa-users and freeipa-devel may be suitable, depending on how deep you want to go in the code...

HTH,
Martin