On Mon, 27 Jul 2015, John Johnson wrote:
I'm not saying that something isn't working for me; I'm going off the
information available on
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/System-Level_Authentication_Guide/authconfig-addl-auth.html#otp-laptop-users
and a thread in this mailing list referencing it.  I'm simply trying to
understand the particular issue related to the laptop-specific
implementation and obstacles as it relates to OTP
No, there is no hardware-specific limitations. What the documentation
tries to explain (rather poorly, I agree!) is that a roaming clients
like laptops would have some issues when OTP is the only scheme enabled
for the user.

This is solved in SSSD 1.13 and both solution and the problem are
described in detail in
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/PAMConversationForOTP

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy