McNiel, Craig wrote:
We have a rather strange need to have '--' in some standard host names
and when I use the CentOS7 ipa-client 4.1 I get the following error message.

[root@pan-smk-pdev lib]# ipa-join -h
"craigs--ipa--client--test.pearsondev.com
<http://craigs--ipa--client--test.pearsondev.com>"
RPC failed at server.  invalid 'hostname': invalid domain-name: only
letters, numbers, '-' are allowed. DNS label may not start or end with '-'

If I use a single quote it will work but, our automation environment
creates hosts that have '--' in the name.  Any idea how to get around
this or is there some other hard requirement for not using '-' in
DNS/Krb principal names?

It's a known issue, https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/4710, no workaround that I see other than manually changing the regex on the IPA server (which is a dangerous path to take).