Sparks, Alan wrote:

>>> [root@als-centos0002 sys-ops]# nisdomainname
>>> dakar.useast.hpcloud.net
>>>
>>> [root@als-centos0002 sys-ops]# getent netgroup opsauto
>>> opsauto
>>> (als-ubuntu0001.oa.ftc.hpelabs.net,-,eucalyptus.internal)
>>> (als-centos0002.dakar.useast.hpcloud.net,-,eucalyptus.internal)
>>

>> Your NIS domain name doesn't match. dakar.useast.hpcloud.net !=
>> eucalyptus.internal
>> rob
>
> Thanks for that.   I must be misunderstanding the purpose of the --domain
> option.
> -Alan

--domain in the server is the default DNS zone for the IPA installation.

--domain in the client tells it where to look for the IPA server in DNS.

There is no actual NIS domain but since netgroups are a NIS construct it
requires something to be set. The NIS domain needs to match the IPA
server domain.