> If you do a local login instead of a kinit, you will see that SSSD will
> switch to the new server and subsequent kinit will start using it.

Ok, I checked and it works just fine for me, thanks.

This dynamic discovery of freeipa servers by sssd is very elegant and
smart;
but I still do not understand how do you automatically switch to a replica
(ipa2) if your master (ipa1) is down
in some cases:

 - to access the freeipa web ui. You have to use an url, e.g.
https://ipa1.example.com
 If ipa1 is down, how do you know which url to use ?

 - if you have other web apps that authenticate against the freeIPA LDAP
server.
 Usually you have to provide a ldap url in the web app configuration, e.g.
ldap://ipa1.example.com.
 What happens when ipa1 is down ?

Karl