Hi Justin,

   I was trying to reproduce this but I think I am missing some steps.
   Do you mind reviewing my testcase to check what is missing ?
   The test case  is :
   install master M, prepare replica (+copy of gpg), install replica
   (new master) R.
   On R:

     * Authenticate as 'admin'
     * 'ipa user-add <user>'
     * ipa user-del --preserve <user>

   On M:

     * Authenticate as 'admin'
     * ipa user-find --preserved=true  <--- here the preserved <user>
       is found

   Is it similar to what you tested ?

   thanks
   theirry