Traiano Welcome wrote:
Hi

I have IPA server 4,2 running on centos 7
(ipa-server-4.2.0-15.el7.centos.3.x86_64).

This morning, after many months of stable operation, I tried to add a
user and got this error via the web interface:

---
Operations error: Allocation of a new value for range cn=posix
ids,cn=distributed numeric assignment plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
failed! Unable to proceed.
---

So basically, can't add any new users.

Would anyone know how I can troubleshoot this kind of IPA error, or
possibly have come across and resolved it before ?

At install a range of 100k id's is allocated to IPA. With each new master this range is divided in half. It appears you've exhausted one of the masters.

What you need to do is take an inventory of what ranges (if any) are allocated to various masters then you should be able to move things around (this is assuming of course that you haven't exhausted the entire range).

ipa-replica-manage list will give you a list of the IPA masters.

ipa-replica-manage dnarange-show <master> and ipa-replica-manage dnanextrange-show <master> will help discover what is available.

If you have things in nextrange then I'd start there with reallocation. Setting a next range of 0-0 removes the next range (e.g. make it available for a primary range).

Take care when actually re-assigning ranges.