From: Alexander Bokovoy [mailto:aboko...@redhat.com]
Sent: 15 August 2016 11:28
To: Stefan Uygur
Cc: mreyno...@redhat.com; freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Freeipa replication issue

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016, Stefan Uygur wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>Sorry if I have to bring this topic back again but still no solution so far. I
>gave up for a while but I still need to solve this problem.
>
>I followed the link provided by Mark Reynold:
>https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/
>10/html/Administration_Guide/dirmnger-pwd.html#dirmnger-pwd-Resetting_P
>asswords
>
>I applied the instructions multiple times and also followed these instructions
>as well:
>http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Change_Directory_Manager_Password
>
>With no joy.
>
>Mark suggested:
>The problem here is that "cn=directory manager" does not exist in a
>database.  It only exists in the cn=config entry, so ldappasswd will
>not work.  But I'm not sure if your problem is the directory manager
>account though.  You need to look through the Directory Server access
>log for "err=49" (/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/access), and see which
>BIND dn is failing.  It could be a different user/account.
>
>So I checked the logs as well and this is all I have from logs every time I
>attempt to prepare the replica:
>[15/Aug/2016:11:03:13 +0100] conn=10 op=13 RESULT err=0 tag=101
>nentries=0 etime=0 notes=U
>[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 fd=70 slot=70 connection from
>local to /var/run/slapd-INSTANCE-COM.socke t
>[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=0 BIND dn="cn=directory
>manager" method=128 version=3
>[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=0 RESULT err=49 tag=97
>nentries=0 etime=0
>[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=1 UNBIND
>[15/Aug/2016:11:03:15 +0100] conn=11 op=1 fd=70 closed - U1
>
>I don't think it is that difficult to manage/change Directory Manager
>password but I cannot get away with it myself so I must be doing
>something wrong or the solutions provided (instructions) are not
>applicable to the version of IPA (ipa-server-3.0.0-47.el6_7.2.x86_64) I
>have.
Please follow instructions in the FreeIPA's howto link above. Really, they tell
you where and how you should change DM password. As I said before, you need to
change more places which recorded the password at the time of install. You
claim that the instruction does not work but it is very clear from the logs
above that you haven't updated all places where DM password was recorded and as
such, you get some code using older version of the DM password. This older
version of DM password comes from one of the fails you actually did not change.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy