I appreciate the fact that it might be a complex task, however a supported(CLI) way to if not revert it all back to pre-install state but at least to take samba out of IPA's hands would be nice to have. Would it be ok to leave IPA+ds389 part as is and only change, reconfigure Samba - I believe so - if yes then a CLI option to achieve this would be very desired.
Rob's workaround only... "built-in".

many thanks