James Harrison wrote:
Hi,
Martin thanks for your quick response. Based on your comments. I have
further questions.

 >> equal peers and can be considered masters

1. If there any urgency for us to recreate a "master" server to perform
any "master" type functions? How do we re-attach "replicas" to this new
"master"?

Like he said, all IPA servers are equal (some are just more equal than others). If you truly have a CA-less system the the only thing that distinguishes one master from another is the presence of the DNS service. From below it looks like you install DNS on all which makes them all masters.

You can manage the replication topology using ipa-replica-manage.

 >> As long as the others have valid CA and server certs
2. This is the install script we are using on the "replicas"

ipa-replica-install \
     --setup-dns --ssh-trust-dns --no-dnssec-validation \
     -p xxxxxxxxx \
     --admin-password=xxxxxxx \
     --ip-address=replica_ip   \
     --no-forwarders \
     -U --mkhomedir --log-file=freeipa_log_file $1

3. The $1 is the cert generated from the "master".  If theres no
distinction between a "master" and a "replica" in a CA-less environment,
can a "replica" run the ipa-replica-prepare script once
ipa-replica-install has been successfully run?

I think you mean $1 is the replica file generated from some master. Seeing how you generate that would tell us whether you are truly in a CA-less environment or not (e.g. you'd need to pass in PKCS#12 files to ipa-replica-prepare).

To answer your question, yes. In a CA-less environment any master can generate a prepare file.

You can add/remove connections using ipa-replica-manage. The initial connection is between the master that generated the prepare file and the host it was installed on.

rob

Thank you for any help.
Best regards,
James Harrison