Even more interesting...

I tried to modify one of the records that was not displaying properly
in the "active users" group, and sure enough the webui complained that
the "Requested By" (relabeled "manager") field was not filled in since
it was blank.  It also, however, complained that the "User tier"
(relabeled "employeetype") was incorrect, even though it showed the
label associated with the value 1.  I clicked the search drop-down for
manager, typed in my own uid, and even though everything had been
blank in the drop down before now my uid showed up.  I clicked on it,
and my uid was now in the manager field.  I then clicked the drop down
for employeetype, and chose one of the other options.  I was now able
to save the changes to the record.

Upon reloading the page, the "Employee Information" facet now shoed up
on the right side bottom, instead of the left side bottom where it was
appearing.  I was also now able to change the drop-down fields for
manager and employeetype to another value, and save them, and they
worked fine even filling in all the data that should have been there.
This almost seemed like the data being returned by the server was
flawed somehow, and confusing the webui, but once it was forced to
have the right data and re-saved it worked fine subsequently.

I looked at the output of "ipa user-show <uid> --all --raw" both
before and after making such changes on a user, and can detect no
difference between them.

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, PICSciE/CSES & Astrophysical Sci
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346344   -74.652242