Have you looked at the sssd logs yet?

Dan

On Feb 2, 2017, at 4:13 PM, pgb205 <pgb...@yahoo.com<mailto:pgb...@yahoo.com>>
wrote:

We have multiple ipa servers but only one is continuously affected by the
strange problem described in the subject line.
Users report not being able to login to servers that are using a specific
ipa_server. Looking at this server ipactl shows
everything as RUNNING. ipactl restart fixes the issue until the next time.

My questions are:
1. What could be causing this, and what can I check.
2. What logging should I enable on the server.
3. We are currently monitoring for processes 'Running' but clearly that is not
fool-proof way to check if the service is actually up.
What would be a definitive method to check if Freeipa is up and functional in
all respects. I was thinking of setting up cron job
that attempts to do kinit <fakeUserid> on a client machine. The problems that I
foresee with this method is caching that might give false negatives.

thanks