components that work together having an understanding of what you are doing and
what your environment looks like is really important if you need help.

Dan

On Feb 3, 2017, at 4:11 PM, pgb205 <pgb...@yahoo.com<mailto:pgb...@yahoo.com>>
wrote:

there are reports from multiple clients being unable to authenticate.
ipactl status shows all services as running.
The problem is fixed when I 'ipactl restart'.

________________________________
From: "Sullivan, Daniel [CRI]"
<dsulliv...@bsd.uchicago.edu<mailto:dsulliv...@bsd.uchicago.edu>>
To: pgb205 <pgb...@yahoo.com<mailto:pgb...@yahoo.com>>
Cc: Freeipa-users <freeipa-users@redhat.com<mailto:freeipa-users@redhat.com>>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] ipactl services running, but auth not working

What exactly are you seeing to determine that the server is actually failing?
Is it not possible that sssd (the client) is timing out?  Will 389ds service an
LDAP request, i.e. can you run

ldapsearch -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w <pw> -s base -b "cn=config"
"(objectclass=*)”

What exactly are you trying to do?  Just password authentication to an sssd
client?  Are you operating in a trusted AD environment?

Dan

On Feb 3, 2017, at 11:26 AM, pgb205
<pgb...@yahoo.com<mailto:pgb...@yahoo.com><mailto:pgb...@yahoo.com<mailto:pgb...@yahoo.com>>>
 wrote:

My problem is with the server itself seemingly not providing services even
though it claims to do so. would be curious to know what to look at on freeipa
server or how to inrease logging