>From old threads back in August 2016 I have been able to get closer to
>installing freeipa server as a subCA to our in house rootCA

https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-August/msg00269.html

Running the initial install command

ipa-server-install --external-ca --domain=camgian.com
--hostname=ipasrvr.camgian.com --realm=CAMGIAN.COM --subject 'OU=IT,O=Camgian
Microsystems,L=Starkville,ST=Mississippi,C=US'

I am provided with /root/ipa.csr that I can signed with our rootCA

But when I run the subsequent command it fails to find the certificate in the
chain.

ipa-server-install --external-ca --domain=camgian.com
--hostname=ipasrvr.camgian.com --realm=CAMGIAN.COM --subject 'OU=IT,O=Camgian
Microsystems,L=Starkville,ST=Mississippi,C=US'
--external-cert-file=/etc/pki/tls/certs/ipasrvr.cert.pem
--external-cert-file=/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.cert.pem

It fails at:

ipa.ipapython.install.cli.install_tool(Server): ERROR    IPA CA certificate not
found in /etc/pki/tls/certs/ipasrvr.cert.pem, /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.cert.pem
ipa.ipapython.install.cli.install_tool(Server): ERROR    The ipa-server-install
command failed. See /var/log/ipaserver-install.log for more information

Any help in the correct direction to resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

Clark