Hi all,

I’ve been struggling the last few days with rebuilding part of my FreeIPA
infrastructure, which has lead me to some questions about how some of the IPA
infrastructure works.  To give a bit of background, I have two IPA servers (my
initially installed IPA server, and a replica) both of which have DNS, NTP, and
CA roles.  I’m running CentOS 7.3, FreeIPA 4.4 currently (upgraded from
original CentOS 7 installations which I believe was FreeIPA 4.1? initiall).  I
have several remote sites that each have two IPA server replicas that have
replication topology segments for domain and ca suffixes back to the two
on-prem IPA servers.  This has been working quite well for over a year now,
through the upgrades, etc.  Occasionally I get an issue with getting some
conflicting records in LDAP, which I’ve cleared up by following some of the
documentation out there.  It seems when this happens however, I end up getting
into a situation where replication stops working, and I end up needing to
“refresh” the installations. I have done this once so far, and am in the
process again currently, by deleting each remote IPA server (ipa server-del),
then re-installing each server to get a clean copy of the databases for
everything.  Last time I had no issues doing this.  This time around, I’m
running into some issues with the CA setup.  I seem to be able to run
ipa-replica-install just fine without the --setup-ca option.  I may be running
into some issues identified in an earlier post this week, so I’ll ask about
this issue separately if I continue to have problems.  In working through these
issues, I realized I don’t really know enough about how the interaction between
the IPA clients and IPA server is working, with regard to the PKI
infrastructure.  I have some questions on what server roles I need at each site
and how the PKI infrastructure works within the IPA environment, and how the
clients communicate to it:

1)       How do the IPA clients discover servers with the CA role and use them?

2)       Is all this interaction done through APIs on the IPA server – in other
words, are these requests fielded by the IPA server and proxied somehow to
known servers with the CA role?

3)       Do the clients need “direct” access to a server with the CA role to
request and obtain certificates and renewals? (i.e. do I need each IPA server
to have the CA role)?

4)       Is it sufficient to just have one server with CA role at each site?
Or even just one at the main on-prem site?

Kendal Montgomery
DevOps Engineer / Lab Manager
[cid:image001.png@01D2BE80.F3B914D0]
Empowering collective insights