Attached you find the log of my tests (I've forgotten to attach it).

Regards,
Werner

On Don, 2016-06-23 at 13:11 +0200, Werner Fischer wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> after further testing the admin found the root cause: whenever he
> uploads a new firmware, he does not preserve any settings. Instead, he
> chooses factory defaults and sets afterwards the setting using an
> configuration file of bmc-config.
>
> Now it turned out, that with firmware 3.40 setting the
> Lan_Privilege_Limit does not work with freeipmi 1.2.1 (setting it to
> "User" works without an error, but querying it afterwards shows that
> there is no Lan_Privilege_Limit set. Doing the same with ipmitool on the
> other side works. So he uses ipmitool as a workaround for that, and then
> everything is fine again and there is no "ipmi_ctx_open_outofband_2_0:
> bad completion code" error any more :-)
> The admin has freeipmi 1.2.1, I've just now tested it with 1.2.9
> (freeipmi package of centos7). Both version do not set the
> Lan_Privilege_Limit.
>
> Now I've also downloaded freeipmi 1.5.2 - then it works :-)
>
> So we found out the root cause, and with the current freeipmi version
> there is no problem :-)
>
> I just wanted to let you know, so that you know everything is fine
> now ;-)
>
> Best regards and thanks again for your valuable help and support,
> Werner

[root@centos7 ~]# bmc-config -V
bmc-config - 1.2.9
Copyright (C) 2003-2012 FreeIPMI Core Team
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
[root@centos7 ~]# bmc-config -o -S User3
Section User3
        ## Give Username
        Username
        ## Give password or blank to clear. MAX 16 chars (20 chars if IPMI 2.0
supported).
        ## Password
        ## Possible values: Yes/No or blank to not set
        Enable_User                                   No
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_IPMI_Msgs                          No
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_Link_Auth                          No
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_Restricted_to_Callback             No
        ## Possible values:
Callback/User/Operator/Administrator/OEM_Proprietary/No_Access
        Lan_Privilege_Limit
        ## Possible values: 0-17, 0 is unlimited; May be reset to 0 if not
specified
        ## Lan_Session_Limit
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        SOL_Payload_Access                            No
EndSection
[root@centos7 ~]# bmc-config -c -n bmc-config-set-user.txt
[root@centos7 ~]# bmc-config -o -S User3
Section User3
        ## Give Username
        Username                                      icinga
        ## Give password or blank to clear. MAX 16 chars (20 chars if IPMI 2.0
supported).
        ## Password
        ## Possible values: Yes/No or blank to not set
        Enable_User                                   Yes
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_IPMI_Msgs                          No
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_Link_Auth                          No
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_Restricted_to_Callback             No
        ## Possible values:
Callback/User/Operator/Administrator/OEM_Proprietary/No_Access
        Lan_Privilege_Limit
        ## Possible values: 0-17, 0 is unlimited; May be reset to 0 if not
specified
        ## Lan_Session_Limit
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        SOL_Payload_Access                            No
EndSection
[root@centos7 ~]# ########################################
[root@centos7 ~]# ########################################
[root@centos7 ~]# # now testing with freeipmi 1.5.2 ######
[root@centos7 ~]# ########################################
[root@centos7 ~]# /usr/local/sbin/bmc-config -V
ipmi-config - 1.5.2
Copyright (C) 2003-2015 FreeIPMI Core Team
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
[root@centos7 ~]# /usr/local/sbin/bmc-config -c -n bmc-config-set-user.txt
[root@centos7 ~]# /usr/local/sbin/bmc-config -o -S User3
Section User3
        ## Give Username
        Username                                      icinga
        ## Give password or blank to clear. MAX 16 chars (20 chars if IPMI 2.0
supported).
        ## Password
        ## Possible values: Yes/No or blank to not set
        Enable_User                                   Yes
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_IPMI_Msgs                          Yes
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_Link_Auth                          Yes
        ## Possible values: Yes/No
        Lan_Enable_Restricted_to_Callback             No
        ## Possible values:
Callback/User/Operator/Administrator/OEM_Proprietary/No_Access
        Lan_Privilege_Limit                           User