I encountered an unusual situation today with freeradius 0.9.3. For some unknown reason all 32 threads locked up. radius.log shows lots of entries like:

Thu Feb 12 12:53:40 2004 : Info: The maximum number of threads (32) are active, cannot spawn new thread to handle request

What is surprising is that it appears the server returned authorization failed responses to the NASs as they never attempted to use my backup server and all the users received an invalid user id or password message. Is this the way the server is supposed to work in this situation?