>On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 08:30, Arthur EBEL wrote:
>> I would like to use PEAP / MSCHAP2 / LDAP
>> My password is stored in my LDAP directory using Crypt.

>See many many previous discussions in this list on the requirement of
>cleartext passwords for MS-CHAP.

OK, time for some user education has to happen here.  (Feel free to correct me
if this is in any way wrong) NT-Hash is a password encryption technology just
like crypt is a password encryption technology.  If you have a clear text
password you can encrypt it and come out with a NT-Hash password, or you could
encrypt it and come out with a crypt password.  However, once it is in an
encrypted form it is impossible to compare two different encryption forms to
tell if it is the same password.  PEAP / MSCHAPv2 passes the password encrypted
with NT-Hash encryption, so it is impossible to compare it against the crypt
password stored in LDAP.  It is also impossible to decrypt the NT-Hash password
back to a clear text password, so the password passed with PEAP / MSCHAPv2
cannot be used in a LDAP bind either.  It is possible to use PEAP / MSCHAPv2
with LDAP, however one must store the NT-Hash password in LDAP.  I've had the
same problem with crypts as my password encryption in LDAP.  I ended having to
create an extra LDAP attribute for NT-Hash passwords.  Whenever a user now goes
through a password change, the NT-Hash password attribute will also be
populated at the same time the crypt password is changed in LDAP.  After you
set this up, make sure to define the attribute in the ldap.attrmap for
NT-Password and it will work great with PEAP / MSCHAPv2.

Chris Wieringa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html