Not really a FreeRADIUS question, but anyway:

For complex queries and/or queries with large result sets MySQL, using
MyISAM tables, will produce a temporary table to fulfill the request. To
ensure that it gets a consistent (temporary) table, MySQL locks the
entire (real) table during this process, preventing writes. Reads can
happen, but (I think) any reads that are complex enough to cause a
temporary table will also queue up.

InnoDB table types do not suffer from this limitation.

Even if you can change table types it may be worth while to EXPLAIN some
of your SELECT queries, and read the MySQL docs on general query
optimizations. With about 5 minutes of effort, I managed to optimize
someone else's queries from ~20s to ~5s. Still locks the table, but for
significantly less time.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html