Alan DeKok wrote:
I know how to feed the detail file back to the server with the radrelay util, but wouldn't that require me to run two radius servers?

  I don't see why.  You should be able to do both.

  Log to the DB, unless the rate is too high.  If it's too high, log
to a "detail" file, and rely on an external program to feed the
requests back in, when the rate drops.

Where in the config would I put this logic? How could I tell radius where to log based on load?

  That helps, too.  Machines are cheap.

Machines are cheap, and I'm getting ready to do a pretty fair upgrade on the database server, but I'm looking for a solution that won't drop accounting messages on the floor regardless of the load.

A related fix would be to change src/main/threads.c, so that if an Accounting-Request has been sitting in the queue for more than 5 seconds, it's discarded and *not* processed. That should help, as the NAS will be re-sending the packet.

Wouldn't sending the request back the queue if there are no DB handles be even better?

schu