On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 01:29:55AM +0200, Michael Markstaller wrote:
> Just an idea while messing around with duplicate accountings in mysql:

> Wouldn't it be more "logical" to change the insert/update-commands in
> sql.conf to log the real start&stop-time of the session with regarding
> start/stop-delay instead of the packet-timestamp %S ?
> Because otherwise any query against the accounting-data has to calculate
> (AcctStartTime-AcctStartDelay) As LoginTime and
> AcctStopTime-AcctStopDelay
> IMHO it's much more likely to query login/logout-times than how long the
> packet took to reach the database (which is still possible with
> AcctStart/StopDelay)

I think one of the concerns with radacct logging in MySQL is that
MySQL's very good at selects, but not so good with inserts. So we
want to make the inserts as simple for the server as possible.

Also, (at least in the default setting) it's prolly best to leave
radacct as close to a direct packet record as possible, so a user
can do whatever they need to to the calculations.

An alternative sql.conf+db schema (ala the PostgresQL voip stuff)
wouldn't raise any objections from me though. No harm in multiple
examples.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.