>> We are attempting to authenticate multiple users based on which
>> Called-Station-ID or NAS-IP-Address. We would like to dynamically build
>> the LDAP search filter based on the originating source. Is this
>> possible?
>
> Yes.

Those two docs (variables and the users man page) were what i needed to glaze through a bit more carefully. A non-standard attribute was being called and it wasn't defined in the dictionary (User-Class). Also the AV pair should have gone on the check line, instead of the reply lines. My reply packets have no use for what I'm doing internally.

DEFAULT Called-Station-ID =~ "8888$|7777$", Auth-Type := LDAP, User-Class = "ourDialup"
Fall-Through = No

For my radiusd.conf file, I defined the ldap filter as:
  filter = "(&(uid=%{User-Name})(userClass=%{check:User-Class}))"

The dictionary had this line added to it:

 ATTRIBUTE       User-Class              3003    string

Our goal was to avoid defining an additional object class, groups/profiles and adding additional AVs to the user's directory entry. All we needed for authorization is a valid username and an attribute, which we described as "user-class" and assigned a value to it, like "PPP" or "wireless". It works well.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jay