Thanks Alan DeKok for pointing out the obvious.... that the Autz-Type directive is meaningless until the authorize section has had a hit at 'files'. You got me over that hurdle.

However, I am now experiencing a problem that I saw Kostas Kalevras and Ron Wahler discussing back in April. I couldn't find their resolution in the archive.

As I mentioned earlier, my ultimate goal is use rlm_ldap to authenticate the user without the initial search for the user. You say...

> Then don't list "ldap" in the "authorize" section.

Well, now I have...

DEFAULT Ldap-UserDN := `cn=%{User-Name},dc=richmond,dc=edu`, Auth-Type = ldap

authorize {
        files
}
authenticate {
        Auth-Type ldap {
                ldap1

...and the whole thing works, except it's still doing the initial bind-and-search...

rlm_ldap: (re)connect to localhost:389, authentication 0
rlm_ldap: bind as cn=admin,dc=richmond,dc=edu/xxxxxxx to localhost:389
rlm_ldap: waiting for bind result ...
rlm_ldap: Bind was successful
rlm_ldap: performing search in dc=richmond,dc=edu, with filter (cn=ccarter)
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
rlm_ldap: user DN: cn=ccarter,dc=richmond,dc=edu
rlm_ldap: (re)connect to localhost:389, authentication 1
rlm_ldap: bind as cn=ccarter,dc=richmond,dc=edu/yyyyyyyy to localhost:389
rlm_ldap: waiting for bind result ...
rlm_ldap: Bind was successful
rlm_ldap: user ccarter authenticated succesfully

This happens contrary to the last bit of advice in doc//freeradius-1.0.0/rlm_ldap.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Coates