Could anybody sched a light onto max_servers and num_sql_socks selection criteria ? (Oracle 9.2.0.4 is used).
How many of them should one set up in order to optimize processor/memory usage?

I had max_servers=32 and num_sql_socks=18 till today. A lot of "There are no DB handles to use!" messages appeared in the log.

Now they are set to max_servers=80 and num_sql_socks=60. There is less messages about DB handles now but the message "Unresponsive child (id nnn) for request mmmm" is often repeated in the logfile. And processors (two 440MHz SPARC on Netra 1120) are utilized on 100%.

We have about 1200 maximum active sessions with accounting update period of 10 minutes.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Alexander Serkin,