Wodan wrote:

I posted this question on the Sveasoft board once.

The WEP key you enter in WEP RADIUS mode is the key that is used for encryption. Usually, in normal WEP mode, you use the same key for encryption and authentication. In the WRT54GS RADIUS mode, you use RADIUS for authentication and WEP for encryption. You don't have to enter this key on your clients because the key is automatically distributed to all RADIUS authenticated clients via the 8021.x server, that runs on the WRT54GS.

What about dynamic WEP re-keying?

There is a HUGE advantage in using WPA if you want to profit from the additional security RADIUS offers. In WPA mode, the key for encryption is definitly generated dynamicly for each client. So if your clients all support WPA and your router runs fine with RADIUS WPA, you should definitely stick with the WPA variant.

How could I tell that different keys are actually being assigned and that re-keying is taking place?

For more information you could signup at www.sveasoft.com where you get first grade technical support form the guys that actually write a custom firmware for the WRT54G(S) !

Now I'm actually running Sveasoft's version 4.0 to which TinyPEAP has been added. I was able to use the embedded TinyPEAP server and an external FreeRADIUS server for the first time. I don't have much info on the stability yet.